Study in UK: Foundation Courses in the UK
Foundation courses in the UK are meant for international students (students who have studied non-British curriculum) who wish to study a degree course in the UK but are through with their high school exams and have completed less than 13 years of education.
Foundation courses are one-year preparation course meant for those students who need additional English language and academic preparation in order to meet the eligibility criteria for entry into undergraduate courses in UK universities and colleges. The foundation courses, therefore, act as a bridge between your current qualifications and undergraduate entry requirements.
You should consider studying foundation courses for the reasons given below:
- These programs help in filling the academic gaps if any.
- They help you in improving your English.
- They help you acclimate to the UK life and culture.
- The starting dates for these programs are available throughout the year.
- The successful completion of this course can lead to a guaranteed offer in the UK University/ college. It is because certain foundation course providers have tie-ups/ partnerships with universities and guarantee progression to that institution if you succeed in achieving high enough grades.
- They help you prepare for a wide variety of subjects like Business, Computing, Engineering, Law, Medicine, Science, Art and Design and more.
- A majority of these courses are taught are on the university campus, thereby, providing you an access to libraries, sporting facilities, and several other university benefits.
There are certain entry requirements for foundation courses as listed below:
- A minimum IELTS score of 4.5 or equivalent, with no single element less than 4.0.
- Higher Secondary School Certificate and transcripts
- Reference letter from your teacher
- Personal statement
- A valid passport and visa
In case you don’t meet formal English requirements, you might be asked to attend an English language course/ college before starting your foundation course.
Where to study foundation courses in the UK?
The institutions offering foundation courses for international students are as listed below:
Image source: oncampus.global